I’m Stacey and I’m originally from the UK and now living in Barcelona, and happy to be teaching Hatha Yoga at Studio 180 Barcelona. Hatha Yoga is for everyone and can be practiced by people with different ability levels. We have yoga blocks and straps to accommodate every posture so you feel comfortable and able to practice the asana’s (postures) without strain. The Hatha Yoga Style I teach is slow and mindful with some dynamic elements to connect each posture to the next. I like to hold the postures for a little longer as this increases stamina and tones the muscles from inside out rather than only toning the outer muscles. This is more beneficial in building up core strength of the body and concentration of the mind.
There are a great deal of physical benefits of practicing Yoga, some of which include:
- Improves flexibility and mobility of the muscles and joints keeping you supple and feeling younger
- Tones the muscles, corrects posture and increases spine mobility
- Increases blood flow and circulation allowing more oxygen to be sent to the glands, nervous system and internal organs.
- By practicing the pranayama’s (breathing exercises) you can increase lung capacity & improve the workings of the nervous system
- Improves digestion and elimination
- Helps with heart and breathing conditions
- Boosts the immune system, decreases cholesterol and blood sugar levels, and encourages weight loss.
- Some asana’s are actually anti-ageing!
The mental benefits include:
- Relieves stress, anxiety and despression
- Boosts self esteem
- Relaxes the mind and creates a sense of calm and centeredness
- Increases concentration and co-ordination
- Creates happiness and frees the spirit
Yoga means ‘Union’. The union between body and mind and mind and spirit. When these things are in ‘Union’ we become balanced and feel happy and centered. We are able to make better life choices and not let the stresses and strains of modern life become overwhelming. Hatha Yoga generates motion without causing strain and imbalances in the body and when practiced regularly it calms the mind and invigorates and heals the body. It can help people of any age to get and stay in shape, feel balanced and refreshed, lose weight, tone and strengthen the body & feel relaxed, healthy and happy.